Jacksonville High School
1. Attention all JHS Students. The Key Club officers and sponsors would like to encourage you to become a Key Club member. Often we have been asked what Key Club does. We are a service organization that helps various groups in our community. Stop by and pick up membership forms in the school office. Our annual membership meeting will be held in the cafeteria on September 18th from 6 to 8 PM. Bring your signed forms and membership dues and come join us in a time of fun, food, and games. Dues are $20 and are due October 1st.
2. GO will meet in Portable 500 Wednesday mornings from 7am to 8 am. You are welcome to come and share your faith with other students. There are no membership fees involved for GO.
3. If you are interested in running for or nominating someone for the 2014-2015 Homecoming Queen or King, please stop by room 101 between classes or after school to pick up a Nomination Form. You can also pick up a form in the front office. The last day to pick up a form is Friday September 19, 2014.
4. Attention sophomores and juniors interested in taking PSAT; the PSAT will be given on Wednesday, October 15th in the JHS Cafeteria. The fee is $14 and you must register and pay in the counselors’ office by October 7th. If you have any questions please see your counselor, Mrs. Mehlenbacher or Mrs. Lewis.
5. On October 1st and 2nd from 8am to 2pm, UT Tyler representatives will bring The University’s internet-equipped Mobile Go Center to Jacksonville High School. Students will receive personalized assistance using Apply Texas Website to submit their online college applications. In order to create an Apply Texas profile, the student will need to have a personal email account. Seniors will be allowed to go to the Mobil Go Center during their English classes if they need help with their college applications.
6. On Thursday, Sept 25th HOSA will have a meeting to conduct elections. If you are interested in being a HOSA officer and are a member or would like to join, Deadline for membership is Sept 19th. Applications are in Room 500. Speak to Ms. Hopkins. Also officer applicants need to turn in a poster by Sept 22nd to present at the Sept 25th HOSA elections from 4 – 5pm in Portable Rm 500.
7. Seniors who have last period off, you are invited to attend the orientation meeting for the Fred Douglass After School Clubs this coming Monday, September 22, at Fred Douglass Elementary at 3:00. If you already signed up to volunteer at the Clubs, you are required to attend this meeting. If you have not signed up yet, but are interested in volunteering, you are welcome as well. If you cannot make it to this meeting, there will be another orientation on Monday September 29 at 3:00 PM at Fred Douglass. Please contact Mr. Alvarez, the counselor at Fred Douglass to let him know you will be attending the meeting at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOSA (Health Occupation Students of America) is a local, state and national organization of students who will be future health care providers. It strengthens leadership, fellowship among other future healthcare professionals and those professionals already in the field. It updates students on cutting edge changes in career and medical innovations. It provides competitive opportunities with other students interested in the healthcare field and introduces them to scholarship opportunities within the HOSA organization. HOSA is run by the students. It is supported by the organization, local parents and is advised through the Health Science programHOSA is now having our membership drive which has a deadline of September 19th. The fee is $40.00 and this will cover both membership and tee shirts. Our next meeting is September 11th in the Health Science portable building Room 500 from 4 to 5 o’clock, if you would like to learn more. We hope any student with an interest in the healthcare field will attend.
Juniors and Seniors
JACKSONVILLE COLLEGE DUAL CREDIT INFORMATION
3 hours $180
4 hours $220
6 hours $300
7 hours $315
*A DOWN PAYMENT OF AT LEAST $50 MUST BE MADE AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION.
IMPORTANT DATES-FALL 2014
September 4, 2014 7:45 am Jacksonville College will be on JHS Campus for Dual Credit registration.
September 12, 2014 Last day to submit Course Registration Form AND down payment to Jacksonville College.
September 19, 2014 Full Tuition payment due or forced withdrawal from course(s) by Jacksonville College.
NEW DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS SHOULD APPLY ONLINE AT WWW.JACKSONVILLE-COLLEGE.EDU
Go to Admissions then Apply Online and then Dual Credit
If you need more information, please see your counselor.
Brenda Pierce – Senior Counselor
Lisa Mehlenbacher – Junior Counselor
The mission of Jacksonville High School is to create a supportive community of learners that will meet the academic, emotional, social, and physical needs of high school students in a safe and orderly environment.